Germany - The Estonian-Latvian Conflict - 11 Aug to 29 Aug 1940

11 Aug 1940: Estonia declares war on Latvia. I didn't see that one coming and I have a 'Call-to-Arms' from Estonia.
At least they are non-aligned and don't belong to a factiom. The last thing I need is for them to join the Allies. Maybe they'll join the 4th International with Russia. That would be interesting!
13 Aug 1840: Let's accept the call and get this over with as quickly as possible.
I dissolve my front with Russia and order the northern group of divisions to Riga, Latvia's capital. The southern group joins the ongoing battle and heads south.
16 Aug 1940: Breakthrough in the east and we are heading to Rezekne.
18 Aug 1940: So we now have the Luxembourg Concordia and Bulgaria wants closer ties to Germany. Both sound promising.
19 Aug 1940: That was not a very smart move.
23 Aug 1940: I select Rheinmetall as my Arillery Material Designer. As for Luxembourg I temporarily form 5th Army from 6 Sturm-Divisionen in training and order it to take the city. I also call some divisions from 1st Army to seal Luxembourg's fate.
Latvia is already ca. 40% towards capitulation and has lost 18K troops compared to our 7K.
24 Aug 1940: Riga has fallen and we now head to the new capital Lepaja.
26 Aug 1940: Research has been completed on Concetrated Industry III.
We accept the 12 Hungarian divisions and add them to 1st Army.
I select to research Construction III next.
My current Research and Luxembourg isn't doing to well.
I add the 14. Panzer-Division to Army Estonia.
28 Aug 1940: The end is near for Latvia.
29 Aug 1940: Victory! That solves my Support Equipment problem and helps out with Infantry Equipment.
I puppet both countries....
....and finish the negotiations. Estonia grabbed 4 states despite the fact that I had puppeted them. Nice of them. Now they do have a common border with Lithuania.
I have mixed emotions here despite the swift victory. There are uncertain times ahead.

Comments