Italy - Foreign Policy Initiatives - 13 Feb to18 Feb 1937

13 Feb 1937: I decide to help Reublican Spain by sending volunteers. I create the SEF, Spanish Expeditionary Force, consisting of 3 seasoned Infantry Divisions.
14 Feb 1937: I select the forces and hope for Spanish approval.
Annoying but not much.
I now start 'Justifying War' against Greece. A neighbour whose independence is not guaranteed by a major power..
Justification will be received on 07 Sep 1937 which gives me plenty of time to organize invasion forces.
I start moving forces to ports in the 'heel' of Italy.
I also order 2 divisions to garrison the Dodecanese Islands.
15 Feb 1937: That's good news.
18 Feb 1937: Now that is a problem....
....so I cancel the Justification.
I add various items to the Construction queue.
I order these divisions back to Roma and surroundings.
In former Austria the Resistance is still increasing.
The Italian Division templates are very weak. Here the Infantry Division with only 6 battalions of Infantry.
The Alpine Divisions are similar but with Alpine Infantry Battalions.
These are the 'Black Shirt' divisions and they can't be edited.
The Armoured Divisions are pathetic - more like a reinforced Cavalry Regiment.
Here I can control what equipment they can receive. I leave that untouched for the moment.
The Cavalry Regiments are very weak. No Support Companies at all. They can be changed though. They are useful in Africa.
A Colonial Division can theoretically be upgraded to a regular Infantry Division.
This can be used for Askari Forces. Again a rigid structure.
Finally Spahi Squadron Groups. Alsowith a rigid structure.
None of these units can take on a West European force so I want to use this pause to 'beef-up`my forces while also fielding more modern equipment. 

Comments