Germany - The War in Spain (I) - 24 Feb to 04 May 1938

24 Feb 1938: Research has been completed on Improved Infantry Equipment I....
....and I select Special Forces next.
28 Feb 1938: The Republicans now have a third division blocking our advance so I order 1. Panzer-Division to attack around the right flank. The technology MG 34 & 5 cm Granatwerfer 38 has finished research.
I choose the Heavy Fighter Messerschmitt Bf  110 next.
A review of my current Research.
08 Mar 1938: The attacking Republican divisions are preventing a speedy advance of 1. Panzer-Division.
15 Mar 1938: Made it though and the single Spanish division is now being attacked from 3 directions.
16 Mar 1938: First Bulgaria wants to join the Axis and I accept. Then China declares war on Communist China. It's another Spain over there!
We are almost at the gates of Madrid.
Alliances are being formed in the Far East.
25 Mar 1938: Another 17 days which feels like 17 weeks.
26 Mar 1938: I create more Sturm-Divisionen while they are still in the Armeeschule.
01 Apr 1938: The Soviet intervenes in the Far East by attacking the Imperial Kwantung Territories. Now that Spanish forces are supporting the offensive I change the attack route again - this time south of the river.
I decline that offer. I'm not ready for war with the Soviet Union.
20 Apr 1938: We have crossed the river and 2 Panzer-Divisionen are attacking westwards towards Ciudad Real. Also the Focus Treaty with the USSR has been completed.
My next Focus is Air Innovations.
22 Apr 1938: Great! The Soviets have accepted the Treaty.
28 Apr 1938: Maybe I should create a huge breach in the Republican lines so that they have to reduce their defences elsewhere.
I select Henschel as my main Tank designer.
04 May 1938: I create Armee Mitte from trained divisions out of the Armeeschule...
....then rename 1. Armee to Armee Polen.
I transfer the SS-Verfügungstruppe to 1. Panzerarmee.
I add a second Artillery battalion to the Sturm-Division template.
I cancel Infanterie-Division recruitment and replace it with Sturm-Division recruitment.
There are now 100 divisions in the Reich.
I deploy two new Air Wings in southern Germany....
....and Lend Lease more aircraft to Nationalist Spain.
We are getting nowhere quickly i Spain so my Plan B is to send Guderian's 1. Panzerarmee there. More in the next post. 

Comments