Germany - Romania's Final Days - Early 1937

I restarted my game at the fall of Poland on 16 Mar 1937. I annexed the regions I wanted (Posen, Silesia, etc.) then puppeted the remainder, eastern Poland, creating Falangist Poland.
We are still at war with the Kingdom of Romania so I must reorganize my forces in SE Poland. One army will garrison occupied Poland.
24 Mar 1937: I now have a frontline and am massing the bulk of Guderian's Army (red) on its southern flank to push north of the river-line to cut-off Romanian forces to the north. Then they swing south to capture Chernivtsi to prepare for an attack further south to Bucharest. Army Manstein's (green) mission is to pin down the enemy in front it to stop it interfering with Guderian's operation.
22 Apr 1937: The first goal has been achieved but the bulk of Guderian's Army is heavily engaged south Chernivtsi and is delaying a deep penetration for the moment. We have breached their defences and Panzers are poised to advance south and southeast.
Research for Oil Refining has completed so...
...I choose Construction II next.
Later in the evening we probed further south.
02 May 1937: In the background you can see the progress south and southeast of Chernivtsi. The chart shows the discrepancy in casualties. 24K German vs. 114K Romanian. They've lost about two-thirds of their Army.
04 May 1936: The size of the breakthrough is very evident but our forces are a little bit extended.
05 May 1937: The National Focus Extra Research Slot has completed. In the previous game I chose Oppose Hitler next.
This time Germany remains fascist and retains the stronger Wehrmacht. First I bypass the Rheinland focus.
I use the extra research slot to vastly improve the quality of the land forces by choosing Delay...
…then choose Treaty with the USSR to jointly improve Panzer Doctrine.
17 May 1937: Looking bleak for Romania. At the top the 239 d means that I have 239 days of fuel remaining.
20 May 1937: The Romanian oil fields have been captured and that figure is now 1.8 y, i.e. 1.8 years.
Not much change here but the end is near.
Good to see that the Luftwaffe is also moving forward giving valuable air support.
29 May 1937: Romania has capitulated.
We've captured a lot of obsolete equipment but it can be used later for lend-lease.
Now to divide up Romania. I liberate Moldova (Bessarabia and South Bessarabia), annex the regions of Moldova, Muntenia, Bucovina and Dobrodja then puppet the rest to form Legionary Romania.
The Treaty of Cluj.
Das Deutsche Reich from the North Sea to the Black Sea.
30 May 1937: I pause the game and as you can see Germany is #3 in the world. I have to ramp up my aircraft production to keep up with the United Kingdom but fortunately Germany doesn't have a Global Empire to protect.

Comments